9 March to 15 March 2020: Jagran Josh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease with Current Affairs Quizzes section. The week’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Asia’s richest man, Inclusive Internet Index 2020 and revoking of former CM’s preventive detention order among others.
1. Who among the following has become the richest man in Asia?
a) Jack Ma
b) Virat Kohli
c) Aditya Birla
d) Anil Ambani
2. The World Health Organisation (WHO) recently categorized Coronavirus as which of the following?
3. What is India’s rank in recently released SIPRI Arms Export list?
4. What is India’s rank in Inclusive Internet Index 2020?
5. Which among the following senior Congress leaders joined the BJP on March 11, 2020?
a) Digvijay Singh
b) Sachin Pilot
c) Jyotiraditya Scindia
d) Anurag Thakur
6. Which political leader’s preventive detention order was revoked by Jammu and Kashmir administration on March 13, 2020?
a) Farukh Abdullah
b) Omar Abdullah
c) Mehbooba Mufti
d) None of the Above
7. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization has lowered the interest rate on deposits to how much for the current fiscal year (2019-20)?
a) 9 percent
b) 8 percent
c) 7.5 percent
d) 8.5 percent
8. Which country witnessed the swearing in of two Presidents on March 10, 2020?
a) Sri Lanka
9. Which country’s parliament recently passed a resolution that allows the President of that country to be in the office till 2036?
a) North Korea
10. Which Indian badminton player recently won the BBC India ‘Sports Woman of the Year’ Award?
a) PV Sindhu
b) Rituparna Das
c) Lalita Dahiya
d) Jwala Gutta
1. (a) Jack Ma
Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd, has lost the crown of Asia’s richest man as RIL has faced a sharp drop in share prices. Now, Jack Ma, co-founder and former executive chairman of Alibaba Group, is the richest man in Asia.
2. (a) Pandemic
The World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic on March 11, 2020, triggering global travel bans. The deadly Covid-19 virus has rapidly spread to more than 121,000 people in over 114 countries across the world.
3. (a) 23rd
India has been included in SIPRI’s list of global arms exporters for the first time. India was ranked 23rd in terms of arms exports, but the government’s move to boost arms sales abroad is likely to improve India’s ranking in terms of arms exports in the coming years.
4. (b) 46
India was ranked 46th in the Inclusive Internet Index 2020 released by the Economist Intelligence Unit, while Pakistan is ranked 76th. This list includes 100 countries of the world.
5. (c) Jyotiraditya Scindia
Former Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia formally joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in the presence of BJP President J P Nadda on March 11, 2020. He had officially resigned from the Indian National Congress on March 9 after serving the party for nearly 18 years. He had joined the party in December 2001.
6. (a) Farukh Abdullah
Former J&K Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah’s preventive detention order was revoked by the Jammu and Kashmir administration on March 13, 2020. He was kept under preventive detention since August 5, 2019 when the special status of the state was withdrawn by the centre.
7. (d) 8.5 percent
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has lowered the interest rate on provident fund deposits to 8.5 per cent for the current fiscal year, 2019-20 from earlier 8.65 percent. This was announced by Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar after the meeting of the EPFO apex decision making body – the Central Board of Trustee.
8. (d) Afghanistan
Afghanistan saw double swearing-in on March 10, 2020 with incumbent President Ashraf Ghani sworn in for a second term and his rival Abdullah Abdullah also sworn in a parallel inauguration.
9. (d) Russia
Russia’s lower house Duma has approved a proposal that could extend Putin’s tenure for two more terms. Now, he can remain the President of the country until the year 2036.
10. (a) PV Sindhu
Indian badminton player PV Sindhu has been voted as the BBC Indian Sports Woman of the Year 2019. PV Sindhu won the badminton world championship in Switzerland last year. She became the first Indian woman player to do so.