13 January to 19 January 2020: Jagran Josh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease with Current Affairs Quizzes section. The week’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new RBI Governor, Queen’s Counsel, ICC Awards, Polly Umrigar Award and Henley Passport Index 2020 among others.
1. Who has been appointed as the RBI Deputy Governor?
a) Michael Debabrata Patra
b) Abhijit Banerjee
c) Kaushik Basu
d) Jagdish Bhagwati
2. Which communication satellite was launched by ISRO on January 17?
a) GSAT 30
b) INSAT 5
c) GSAT 15
d) Cartosat 3B
3. Who is the first Indian women officer to lead an all-men contingent during the Army Day parade on January 14, 2020?
a) Captain Swati Pandey
b) Captain Kritika Gosain
c) Captain Sanjana Chaudhary
d) Captain Tanya Shergill
4. Which Indian advocate was recently appointed as the Queen’s Counsel?
a) Fali S Nariman
b) KK Venugopal
c) Soli Sorabjee
d) Harish Salve
5. Yashaswini scheme for women entrepreneurship was launched in which state?
6. Kerala has invoked which article to challenge CAA in the Supreme Court?
a) Article 32
b) Article 131
c) Article 352
d) Article 371
7. Which Tribal refugee community will now be given permission to settle in Tripura following the signing of a historic agreement on January 16, 2020?
8. What is the ranking of Indian Passport in Henley Passport Index 2020?
9. Which cricketer won the Polly Umrigar Award?
a) Virat Kohli
b) Smriti Mandhana
c) Jasprit Bumrah
d) Rohit Sharma
10. Who won ICC 2019 Spirit of Cricket award?
a) Rohit Sharma
b) Ben Stokes
c) Kane Williamson
d) Virat Kohli
1. (a) Michael Debabrata Patra
Michael Debabrata Patra has taken over as the new RBI Deputy Governor. He will have a term of three years. Overall, he will be the fourth Deputy Governor of the RBI, succeeding Viral V Acharya who had resigned in June 2019.
2. (a) GSAT 30
ISRO launched GSAT-30 ABOARD Ariane 5 launch vehicle from French Guiana in collaboration with the European space agency on January 17, 2020. The satellite will replace INSAT-4A spacecraft.
3. (d) Captain Tanya Shergill
Captain Tanya Shergill led the all-men contingent during the Army Day parade held on the occasion of 72nd Indian Army Day in Delhi. Captain Shergill is an electronics and communications graduate.
4. (d) Harish Salve
Harish Salve has been appointed as the Queen’s Counsel for the courts of England and Wales. He was India’s lead counsel in the Kulbhushan Jadhav extradition case at the International Court of Justice.
5. (c) Goa
The Yashaswini Scheme for Women entrepreneurship was launched in Goa by Union WCD Minister Smriti Irani on January 11, 2020. The scheme aims to support women SHGs with interest-free loans up to Rs 5 lakh.
6. (b) Article 131
The Kerala state government has invoked article 131 to challenge the CAA act in the Supreme Court. This means that the apex court will have to treat the case as a fresh one and not club it with the other anti-CAA petitions.
7. (b) Bru-Reang
The Union Home Affairs Minister Amit Shah on January 16, 2020 presided over the signing of a historic agreement between the central government, Tripura and Mizoram and the Bru-Reang representatives, ending the 23-year old Bru-Reang refugee crisis. In 1997, around 30,000 Bru-Reang tribals were forced to flee Mizoram due to ethnic tension and seek shelter in Tripura.
8. (d) 84
According to the Henley Passport Index, Japan’s passport is the most powerful passport in the world. Indian passport secured 84th position in the list. In 2019, India’s ranking was 82.
9. (c) Jasprit Bumrah
Jasprit Bumrah was awarded the prestigious Polly Umrigar award at the BCCI Annual Awards function on January 12, 2020. The award is conferred to best male International cricketer. It carries a trophy, citation and a cash prize worth Rs 15 lakh.
10. (d) Virat Kohli
Indian skipper Virat Kohli was honoured with the 2019 ICC Spirit of Cricket award for his gesture during India’s world cup match against Australia, when he was seen asking the crowd to cheer for Steve Smith and not boo him. Smith had just returned to international cricket after one-year suspension over ball-tampering row.