14 January 2020: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Polly Umringar Award, new RBI Deputy Governor and Oscars nominations 2020 among others.
1. Which cricketer won the Polly Umrigar Award?
a) Virat Kohli
b) Smriti Mandhana
c) Jasprit Bumrah
d) Rohit Sharma
2. Who has been appointed as the RBI Deputy Governor?
a) Michael Debabrata Patra
b) Abhijit Banerjee
c) Kaushik Basu
d) Jagdish Bhagwati
3. Which communication satellite will be launched by ISRO on January 17?
a) GSAT 30
b) INSAT 5
c) GSAT 15
d) Cartosat 3B
4. How many films have been nominated in the Best Picture category for Oscars 2020?
5. What was the name of Oman’s Sultan who passed away recently?
a) Qaboos bin Said
b) Abdullah Ali
c) Zayed bin Sultan
d) Ayyubid Al Hassan
6. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has mandated all drone users to register their gadgets by which date?
a) March 31st
b) February 1st
c) February 2nd
d) January 31st
7. Which court annulled Pervez Musharraf’s death penalty, calling the special tribunal’s ruling as unconstitutional?
a) Islamabad HC
b) Sindh HC
c) Lahore HC
d) Peshawar HC
8. When is National Youth Day observed in India every year?
a) 14th January
b) 12th January
c) 10th January
d) 11th January
9. What is the name of Iran’s only woman Olympic medalist who recently announced to leave the country?
a) Mariam Toshi
b) Zahira Ibrahim
c) Sadaf Rajabi
d) Kimia Alizadeh
10. What is the new name of Kolkata Port Trust?
a) Atal Port Trust
b) Patel Port Trust
c) Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port
d) Veer Savarkar Port
1. (c) Jasprit Bumrah
Jasprit Bumrah was awarded the prestigious Polly Umrigar award at the BCCI Annual Awards function on January 12, 2020. The award is conferred to best male International cricketer. It carries a trophy, citation and a cash prize worth Rs 15 lakh.
2. (a) Michael Debabrata Patra
Michael Debabrata Patra has taken over as the new RBI Deputy Governor. He will have a term of three years. Overall, he will be the fourth Deputy Governor of the RBI, succeeding Viral V Acharya who had resigned in June 2019.
3. (a) GSAT 30
ISRO will launch GSAT-30 ABOARD Ariane 5 launch vehicle from French Guiana in collaboration with the European space agency on January 17, 2020. The satellite will replace INSAT-4A spacecraft.
4. (b) Nine
The Best Picture category of Oscars 2020 has a total of nine nominations including Marriage Story, The Irishman, Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Little Women and the Golden Globe winner 1917.
5. (a) Qaboos bin Said
Oman’s longest-serving ruler, Sultan Qaboos bin Said passed away on January 10, 2020. Haitham bin Tariq al-Said was sworn in as the new Sultan of Oman on January 12, 2020.
6. (d) January 31st
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has asked all the people possessing and flying drones to register their gadgets by January 31, 2020. The Ministry of Civil Aviation said in a public notice that those who fail to register their drones by then will have to face appropriate action under the Indian Penal Code.
7. (c) Lahore HC
A three judge bench of the Lahore High Court unanimously declared all actions against former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf right from the initiation of the complaint to the special court’s final ruling as “unconstitutional”.
8. (b) 12 January
The National Youth Day is observed annually on January 12 to commemorate Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary. The day aims to promote optimistic thought among the youth of the nation.
9. (d) Kimia Alizadeh
Iran’s Kimia Alizadeh recently announced that she is leaving the nation forever through her instagram account. She is the only woman from Iran to win an Olympic medal. She had bagged bronze at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
10. (c) Shyama Prasad Mukherjee
Kolkata Port Trust has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Trust by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee was a popular politician and barrister.