Olympic torch reaches Japan
• The Olympic 2020 torch reached Japan on March 20, 2020. The torch has traveled to Japan from Greece. The official handle of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics tweeted, “The Olympic torch has arrived in Japan.”
• Greece handed the Olympic torch to Tokyo 2020 in a ceremony held inside closed doors due to the Coronavirus outbreak. The event was held in the absence of spectators.
• The torch was handed over to Tokyo 2020 representative Naoko Imoto. Emoto is a swimmer and participated in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. It is noteworthy that the ceremony of lighting the torch was also held at the ancient Olympia stadium last week without the audience.
India becomes third largest electricity producer in the world
• India has become the third-largest electricity producer in the world, as its power generation has increased to 34% by 2017 compared to seven years ago.
• Now, the country produces more energy than Japan and Russia seven years ago, compared to India, which were installing 27% and 8.77% more power generation capacity respectively.
• According to a report by India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), a trust set up by the Ministry of Commerce, electricity generation stood at 1,003.525 billion units from April 2017 to January 2018.
Greenland losing ice sheets six times faster than 1990: Study
• According to the information released by the team of Ice Sheet Mass Balance Intercomparison Exercise (IMBIE) team, Antarctic and Greenland are losing ice sheets six times faster than the 1990s era.
• The study has been supported by NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA) undertaken by the IMBIE team.
• According to the report, two areas of Greenland and Antarctic have lost 6.4 trillion of ice since the 1990s. The study also said that the melting of ice from both of these regions has resulted in 0.7 inches increase in sea level.
25 million jobs on stake due to Coronavirus: UN agency
• According to the ILO, United Nations agency, the Coronavirus pandemic is threatening about 25 million jobs worldwide. If governments do not take any effective steps fast and do not make the right policy for this, unemployment will increase more.
• The International Labor Organization (ILO) has warned that there may be an economic crisis worldwide, which will make people’s jobs difficult.
• The ILO proposes that people working in certain sectors should also get financial assistance. However, the ILO also said that if countries take effective steps, as it did during the 2008-09 recession, unemployment could be reduced.
Coronavirus delays NASA’s Artemis mission work
• Coronavirus has been affecting every nook and corner of the world for the past few months. Recently, NASA has announced that it has suspended manufacture and testing of the Space Launch System and Orion.
• As per the media reports, the US administration had fixed an objective of the moon landing by the end of 2024. Now, the next dates will be announced due to its late work.
• However, there is no confirmed case of Coronavirus among NASA employees. However, NASA has delayed manufacturing work as a precautionary measure.