International Day of Women and Girls in Science
• The International Day of Women and Girls in Science (IDWGS) is celebrated on February 11 every year. The objective of this day is to promote equal and full access to and participation in science.
• UNESCO – United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, started this day in collaboration with UN Women.
• As per the data released by UNESCO, about 28.8 percent women are actively participating in scientific works while UNESCO’s 2014-16 research shows that about 30 percent female students study STEM.
PSU Survey 2019: ONGC, IOC, NTPC top three profitable PSUs
• According to the PSU Survey 2018-19, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Indian Oil Corporation and NTPC were three the top profitable companies of India.
• Their total profits were 15.3%, 9.68% and 6.73% respectively. On the other hand, Air India, BSNL and MTNL suffered the most losses.
• According to the survey, 70 government companies were at a loss during this period. About 10 companies were accounted for more than 94% of the total losses.
JVM (D) to be merged with BJP
• The first Chief Minister of Jharkhand Babulal Marandi recently announced that his party Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Democratic) will be officially merged with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on February 17, 2020.
• Babulal Marandi is also the President of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Democratic). He decided to break away from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) about thirteen years ago and formed his new party.
• Babulal Marandi is also a former leader of RSS. In 2006, he split from BJP and formed a new party. A special programe will be held in Jharkhand for this merger.
A joint venture between Mahindra & Mahindra and Ford gets approval from CCI
• The Competition Commission of India has recently approved a joint venture between Mahindra & Mahindra and Ford Motor. The business of Ford India will now be transferred to this joint venture.
• The joint venture will acquire Ford India’s vehicle business. It also includes Ford India’s two manufacturing plants in Chennai and Sanand (Gujarat).
• The Competition Commission of India is a quasi-judicial constitutional body, it was established under the Competition Act, 2002.
Himalayan glacier altered long before people arrived: Study
• According to a study published in the science journal PNAS, human interventions may have contaminated one of the highest peaks in the central Himalayas before the arrival of humans in that region.
• The study also revealed that Himalayas were polluted hundreds of years before a person arrived there. This study indicates that in the late 18th century a byproduct of burning coal, used in Europe, was an actual product of Dasuopu glacier, about 10,300 kilometres from London.
• A team of scientists revealed that Dasuopu glacier was drilled to find out the answers. Dasuopu glacier is located at 7,200 metres above sea level. It is also the highest-altitude place in the world where researchers have got a climate record from its ice-core.