The Banker named Shaktikanta Das as Central Banker of the Year 2020-Asia-Pacific
• Financial intelligence magazine, The Banker, has been named Shaktikanta Das as the Central Banker of the year 2020 for the Asia-Pacific Region.
• He has been selected for this honor because of measures taken by him. The Banker said that Shaktikanta Das has tightened the rules against shadow banking.
• The Banker also said that the banking system of India faced various challenges during this period but Shaktikanta Das has taken various steps to bring Indian banks up to the standards.
L&T MBDA Missile System sets up integration facility in Tamil Nadu
• L&T MBDA Missile Systems (LTMMSL) has recently established a missile integration facility in Coimbatore city in Tamil Nadu.
• LTMMSL is a joint venture between Larsen & Toubro and the European defense company MBDA. The facility is spread over an area of 16,000 square meters.
• It has been constructed in the Special Economic Zone where weapons will be manufactured for the domestic and global markets. L&T has a stake in the joint venture, while the remaining 49% is held by MBDA.
Cancer cases can rise to 81 percent by 2040
• According to the report published by the World Health Organisation on World Cancer Day (February 04) that cancer cases can rise to 81 percent by 2040.
• WHO believes that more investments required in this field. It is important to bring an investment of USD 25 billion in the next decade to bring down the mortality rate.
• WHO report also highlighted that tobacco is the biggest reason behind cancer cases. WHO report informs that 25 percent of cancer deaths happen due to tobacco.
Shreyas Iyer becomes first Indian No.4 to hit ODI hundred outside India in four years
• Indian batsman Shreyas Iyer has become the first No. 4 player to hit more than 100 runs out of the country in four years.
• Iyer scored 103 runs out of 107 balls helped the team India to set up a target of 348 runs for the host country New Zealand.
• Earlier, in 2016, Manish Pandey scored 104 runs against Australia. Former Indian all-rounder Yuvraj Singh is only No. 4 batsman to hit ODI 100 from the No. 4 position.
Longest-serving president of Kenya passes away
• Daniel Arap Moi, longest-serving Kenyan President, passes away on February 04, 2020. He was 95. Current President Uhuru Kenyatta announced his death.
• He ruled Kenya from 1978 to 2002 amid political repression, economic stagnation and corruption. He gained the support of Western countries due to anti-communist policies during the Cold War.
• Moi won five consecutive elections. He was elected unopposed in 1979, 1983 and 1988, while multilateral elections were held in 1992 and 1997. In both of these elections, the opposition was divided and disorganized.